Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Capernaum Capers! har har har

Today was our bicycle trip to Capernaum! We rented bikes from the hostel for 60 sheklim, which is way cheaper than bus or taxi. It is also way harder, and in hindsight, I can say that I will probably never ever do that again. NEVER. I might complain a lot in this post, so be ready. I am sorry.

We left at six this morning, and pedalled our way to the Mount of Beatitudes. Notice the "Mount" part of that name. It is definitely on a mountain. We eventually made it, right as everything was opening. We saw the Church of the Beatitudes, and a lot of tourists. We were feeling a little poor in spirit, but sat and ate grapes and looked out at the lake and that refreshed us a bit.

Down the mountain was absolutely splendid! Praise God that uphill is downhill when you're going the other direction! We went to the Church of the Primacy of St. Peter, then made it to Capernaum and saw the site of Peter's house and the synagogue. It was very pretty. Jesus picked a nice place, with the exception of the weather. We did a little more treading where he hath trod, then started the trip back.

Capernaum is 17 km from Tiberias, which in miles, is a really stinking long way. It's actually not that far, and should have taken us way less time than it did, but I'm a pansy, and it was HOT, and there were HILLS. I think it was the hardest workout I've ever had. Y-Box has nothing on highway 90 through the Galilee. I sweated more than I ever have in my life (possibly total), and drank extreme amounts of water. I was sooo gross when we finally got back. Plus I have a sunburn and my Toms tan got worse. I never want to see a bicycle ever again.

Now I'm done complaining. Thanks for your patience! I feel a lot better now that I took a shower, but I predict a lot of soreness in my future. Tomorrow we are leaving for Haifa, so that should be good. Here are a few pictures for you:

The Church of the Beatitudes, built on a possible site of the Sermon on the Mount.

The synagogue in Capernaum, along with a guy I don't know.


A group of French people listening to The Sermon in the Tourist Trap.

When I was reading my Bible a few minutes ago, a lentil fell out. This makes me happy. I like lentils.

1 comment:

  1. I think the worst part of all of this would be leaving at 6 in the morning.

    ReplyDelete