Thursday, July 23, 2009

I had toast and hummus for breakfast this morning

I only have two more days of ulpan, and they're both exam days. One exam is in three hours, and I should be studying for it, but it seemed exciting to add some suspense and uncertainty by not studying! So I'm typing this instead.

Here's a fun story about the day I skipped (the ONLY day I have skipped so far): my class learned colors in my absense. Why is this funny? Because at OU, I also happened to skip the day they learned colors, and it's a hard lesson to catch up on from a black and white textbook. Maybe God is punishing me.

Yesterday my class went to Rechov HaNeviim (Street of the Prophets) for a field trip. We went to the Museum of the Psalms, which is where there's a little old man with a long white beard who paints pictures illustrating the Psalms. He explained some of the paintings to me, but I couldn't keep all of the symbolism straight. We also went to the Ethiopian Church, which was very pretty. Etiquette required us to take our shoes off outside the church, and barefoot = fun. (However, it did give everyone in my class the opportunity to point out my Toms tan.)

Last night I got to hang out with Ruwa (who, as you may remember, is my Palestinian friend I met on the plane). We went to Mamilla, a really nice shopping center near the Old City, and ate pastries at Aroma. We talked for a while about politics and whatnot, since that is a popular topic here. She is in some kind of diplomacy program, and says that the more peace talks she goes to, the more she thinks there will never be peace here. That's a little discouraging. We also went into the Old City and tried some kanafeh, which was an experience. It's melty goat cheese with flour, butter, sugar, and spices on the top. You might think that doesn't sound tasty, but you'd be wrong. It's delicious! I must get a recipe and a goat!

That's enough procrastinating for now I think. Duty calls. Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. No, that stuff really doesn't sound tasty, whether it is or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving seeing Israel through your eyes! Can't wait to see you at Runamuc. And the goat cheese sounds terrific.
    Love, Aunt Holly

    ReplyDelete